Cru Weekly Ministry Tip, Spring 2012, #2
In the last chapter of Deuteronomy, we see that Moses had just died and was buried in the land of Moab. Deuteronomy 34:9 says, “Now Joshua the son of Nun was filled with the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hands on him; and the sons of Israel listened to him and did as the LORD had commanded Moses.”
Looking back at Deuteronomy 31:14, we see that it was the Lord who chose and commissioned Joshua, “Then the LORD said to Moses, “Behold, the time for you to die is near; call Joshua, and present yourselves at the tent of meeting, that I may commission him.” In the books of Exodus through Joshua in the Old Testament, Joshua showed himself to be faithful and obedient to the Lord. Moses, who knew the Lord face to face, placed his hands on Joshua and imparted the spirit of wisdom and the commission from God, to take Israel into the Promised Land.
As you continue with your ministry on campus, be hopeful, be courageous, be enthusiastic, and move ahead living a Spirit-filled life. This Spring, work toward finding and discipling key “Joshua” type students who will come along side you to help you reach your campus with the Gospel message. We cannot do it alone, we need to have a team around us. Continue to meet new students on campus through many creative means. Here are some ideas on meeting new people and getting your Spring term off to a good start.
Meeting New Students:
1. Meet new students by doing a dinner line survey.
2. Meet new students by putting on a party the first week or two of classes.
3. Meet new students by making sure your posters and flyers are up all over campus. (wait about 20 seconds for this link to come up).
4. Do a fun campus service project and invite the whole campus to join you.
5. Plan a Super Bowl party and advertise by saying, “Free Pizza!”
6. Plan an indoor volleyball tournament. Bring food and Gatorade.
7. Be proactive with students who come to your weekly meetings; be sure to invite them to do some fun activities outside the meeting.
All of these ideas are with the aim of finding new friends whom you can share the message of the Gospel with in fun, personal, and creative ways. Eventually invite them to join your Bible study and keep a keen eye out for the next Joshua on your campus.
Talk to you next week,
Ben Rivera/GodSquad and CruPressGreen Team