The Community – Discovery Level: 2 Walking in the Light – 1 John 1:5-13
See the original here. See how I edited for a Bible Study below:
1 John 5:9-13
9 If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater, for this is the testimony of God that he has borne concerning his Son. 10 Whoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself. Whoever does not believe God has made him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has borne concerning his Son. 11 And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.
13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life.
Launch: On a scale of 1-100 how sure are you that you will go to heaven with you die and why?
- In 1 John 5:9-13, observe and name off the main Biblical truths that you see in this passage.
- How many times do you count the word “believe”?
Why is this word mentioned so many times?
What are the results of believing?
What are the results of not believing?
3. How would you describe eternal life to someone else?
4. When does eternal life begin?
5. What is the basis for the promise of eternal life? Or what is the main event that allows all who believe, to have eternal life? Why?
6. What are some personal changes that you feel should result from someone who truly has eternal life?
7. How do you know personally if you have eternal life?
1 Good Launch Question
2 Observation type questions (what do you observe as you look at the passage)
2 Interpretation questions (what does the passage mean)
1 or 2 Summary questions (putting it all together, summarizing what was discussed above)
1 or 2 Application questions (question that are not just a “to-do” list, but questions that also target the heart)