Weekly Tip #6 Spring 2017
14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead… Here’s the link to continue reading through verse 26
Questions to ponder and consider: (Take 30 minutes to read and ponder these verses below. Let the discussion flow freely as you ask these questions and see what your disciples discover).
- Why does it seem like some people are not able to put their faith into practice? Explore the issues involved. (Launch Question)
- Read verses 14-26. What words/concepts do you see repeated often?
- Re-read verses 14-26 along with Hebrews 11:33, James 1:22-25, 1 John 3:17-18. What support do you find for the importance of “Works” in the Christian life?
- Read Romans 3:28, 4:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 11:6. What support do you find for the importance of “Faith” in the Christian life?
- When you think about Faith and Works, which one do you think is more important? (This is designed to help people process both concepts. They work together).
- How would you summarize and describe to someone, how Faith and Works interact with each other in the Christian life?
- What do you feel are some of the heart issues God may be wanting you to make, when it comes to Faith and Works in your life?
- On a personal level, where would you like to have more Faith?
- What areas would you like to do more Works?
One of my close friends often ends his letters to me by saying, “Keep Running”. I love this imagery because it reminds me that we never stop walking with and working for the Lord. This summer, consider attending a Cru Summer Missions project in the U.S. or around the world. There are some great options for you. Check them out.
If you are staying home this summer to work, or continue taking classes, another great option is for you to look into Summer Connect. Take the lead on your campus to rally students who will be around this summer to keep growing in the Lord and get more training.
You know how I will end this tip…
Ben with Cru